Recipe for Folar de Pascoa
March 27, 2009
I have managed to find a recipe for portuguese Folar. It sounds yummy and I’m looking forward to baking it.
14oz (400g) Flour
1/2 oz (15g) Fresh Yeast
1 1/2 (45g) Caster Sugar
3oz (90g) Butter
1 Large Egg
1/2 pint (300ml) Milk
1 teaspoon Powdered Aniseed
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 hard boiled eggs
1 beaten egg for brushing
How to Make It:
1. In a bowl combine the yeast, 1/4 of the flour, a 1/3 of the milk (warmed) and half the sugar.
Mix together to make a dough, cover and leave in a warm place for 1/2 hour
2. Beat the eggs with the salt and spices and remaining milk and sugar.
3. Kneed in the rest of the flour and egg mix to the dough gradually.
4. Kneed in the butter.
5. Cover the dough and leave it to rise for about three hours in a warm place.
6. For traditional portuguese Folar, break the dough into two (or leave whole) and place the eggs on top.
7. Make a cross with two rolled lengths of dough to put on the top, holding the egg in place.
Brush the bread with the beaten egg.
8.Cook at 210c/425F/Gas 7 until golden brown.